The Parish Council has an overall responsibility for the well-being of the parish.
The work falls into three main categories:
- representing the local community
- delivering services to meet local needs
- striving to improve quality of life in the parish
Councillors have three main areas of work:
- Decision-making: through attending meetings, councillors decide which activities to support, where money should be spent, what services should be delivered and what policies should be implemented
- Monitoring: councillors make sure that their decisions lead to efficient and effective services by keeping an eye on how well things are working
- Getting involved locally: as local representatives, councillors have responsibilities towards their constituents and local organisations. This often depends on what the councillor wants to achieve and how much time is available.
Your Parish Councillors and their responsibilities
Chairman – Mike Graham
Vice Chairman – Sue Phelan & Barbara Evans
Councillors – Julie King, Katherine White, Brian Hamilton, Andy Street and Jane Adams
Clerk to the Parish Council – Rosie Warne
Responsible Financial Officer – Rosie Warne
The Finance Committee – Julie King, Mike Graham, Sue Phelan and Barbara Evans
Representatives and Wardens to the Parish Council
Footpath Wardens – Councillor Brian Hamilton, Alicia Schofield, Peter & Lesley Carey and Mike & Karen Terry
Tree Warden -Councillor Brian Hamilton
Red Springs Pocket Park – Councillor Brian Hamilton and Wardens Simon Mead & Tom Parker
Highways Representative – Councillor Barbara Evans
VH and PFA Representative – Councillor Barbara Evans
Moated Site Representative – Councillor Barbara Evans
Relief in Need Charity Representative – Councillor Julie King
Walgrave Wellbeing Centre Liaison – Councillor Julie King
Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator – Fay Knight
Newsletter editors – Patricia Ellis, Rose Knight and Liz Gilbert
Website editor – Rosie Warne
Meetings: Meetings are usually held on the second Monday of each month (not August) at the Baptist Chapel Room, Gold Street. Planning documents are available on the Daventry District Council website . On occasion planning documents will be available at 7.15pm before a parish council meeting, which starts at 7.30pm prompt. All are welcome – information on Public Participation is here.
Annual Meeting: The Annual Meeting is held in April or May.
Notice Boards: The Parish Council has three Notice Boards – outside the Baptist Chapel, by the School gate on Kettering Road and on the external wall of the bus shelter on Old Road.
Minutes: The Minutes are available on this website, from the Clerk or for viewing on the notice board outside the Baptist Chapel, Gold Street.
Freedom of Information: Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 it is the duty of Walgrave Parish Council to produce and publish the method by which Parish Council information is available to the public. The Parish Council have therefore adopted a 'Guide to Information' which can be viewed here.
Grant Awarding Policy
The council awards grants, at its discretion, to parish organisations which can demonstrate a clear need for financial support to benefit the parish by:
- providing a service
- enhancing the quality of life
- improving the environment
- promoting the parish in a positive way
Our Grant Awarding Policy can be viewed here.
Download our Grant Application Form here. (Word Document)